Becoming an authority on a topic is a process. It takes time to become known as an authority within your field. There are many ways an individual becomes an authority within their field. The key is to not focus on just one of them. A true authority can master all 7 of the factors listed below.
These 7 factors work together to create authority. While you can experience success as a blogger or internet marketer without mastering all seven…you may fall short of authority status. The best goal is to work towards mastering each of the 7 factors listed below.
1. Drop the Agenda. Obviously, we all have an agenda. We are all trying to sell something in order to make money online. However, if all of your content is simply sales copy, you are not providing valuable content and you are not giving readers an opportunity to connect with you as a person.
2. Share Your Failures. Everyone knows I have failed in the past and learned from my mistakes. People like Steve Jobs are looked to as inspirational; not just because he was a successful genius, but because he failed and fought his way back from failure to make Apple what it is today. People love underdogs. That is why every talent-based reality show pumps up the participant’s back stories. what is your back story? How many times did you fail before achieving the success you enjoy today? These are stories you should share with your readers.
3. Establish a reputation for outstanding content. Giving away great content for free through your website is a great way to show people you honestly want them to succeed. If everything you offer has a price tag attached, people are going to get the feeling you are only really interested in your own success. Provide blogs, ebooks, videos, how-tos, interviews, testimonials and more. Offer your readers everything you reasonably can.
4. Be Confident. Confidence is VERY sexy. People love sexy. If you act like you are unsure of yourself, your success or your advice, people are not going to be drawn to following you or your advice. You need to be assertive and confident. When people are finished reading your blog or watching your video, you want their response to be “Hell Yeah!! I’m with you!”
5. Charge a Premium Price. Giving away things for free is an important part of the business. Giving things away at a price “everyone can afford” is also a part of the business, but you need to have a premium option. People, who can afford it, want it…they don’t want the same free information that anyone can get. They want the super special insider information that is worth the price they are willing to pay for it. Offer your readers a premium product and charge a premium price for it. There is truth in the statement, “you get what you pay for.”
6. Create Scarcity. You’ll notice when I do a webinar, there is limited space, and I only provide a replay of the webinar for a limited time. That is because the information I’m providing is valuable information, and I make it more valuable by limiting access to it. If you offer a special price on your ebook or online course, make the special price for a limited time only.
7. Don’t be Too Easy. Don’t be available ALL the time. Your time is important, and if you make yourself constantly available, you are devaluing your time. You didn’t become a home business entrepreneur, so you could be dictated by other people’s schedules. Create a schedule that works for you and maintain it.
These 7 factors are essential to becoming an authority. I hope my explanations of each is solid and understandable.
And As Always…
1. PLEASE leave a comment below and let me know what you think.
2. PLEASE share this with any other entrepreneurs you may know (Facebook friends, twitter friends, etc) if you think it might help them.
To YOUR Success,